It’s delicious with greek yoghurt. overnight oats, bircher or ice-cream. There are so many recipes for overnight oats online but bircher gets a little overlooked. They are pretty similar in ingredients and preparation but bircher has the added bonus of grated apple and greek yoghurt, making it even more tasty.
You can prepare all the ingredients in advance and wake up to this ambrosia of a breakfast. Blueberries and maple syrup have a low glycemic index so they won’t spike your blood sugar. The combination of oats and the protein (almond milk and greek yoghurt) will keep you filling full too.
Bircher with Blueberry Compote
- 250 g Blueberries
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3 tbsp Water
- 90 g Steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 150 g Green Yoghurt or dairy-free alternative
- 4 tbsp Nut milk
- 2 Small apples, grated
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- To make the compote: place blueberries, maple syrup and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil whilst stirring
- Reduce to a low heat and simmer for around 5-10 minutes until the blueberries soften and the texture becomes jammy. Keep checking and stirring throughout
- To make the bircher: mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and spoon into two bowls. Leave in the fridge overnight or for a 3-4 of hours
- Serve with blueberry compote and have a great start to your day!